- Explore AISD
- Teaching & Learning
- Elementary School
- Middle School
- High School
- Student Support Services
- Service Learning
- Community News
- Alumni Connection
Discovery Week Class Trips
Discovery Week is a week-long program for high school students designed to complement the traditional classroom instruction that students receive at AISD by providing a set of authentic, alternative educational experiences. Students are expected to complete the educational component of the trip, much like they would if they were in the traditional classroom.
During Discovery Week trips, students are encouraged to embrace the components of the IB Learner Pro!le, in that they strive to be: inquirers, knowledgeable, thinkers, communicators, principled, open-minded, caring, risk-takers, balanced and reflective. Ultimately, this program will enhance and improve the students’ own lives, as well as the lives of those around them.
Each Discovery Week experience is designed to:
- Offer direct exposure to explore the region of Asia, and to instill an understanding and appreciation for different cultures, geography, and people.
- Enhance interpersonal and intrapersonal growth
- Provide opportunities of service learning to enable students to develop a sense of personal responsibility and empathy that will help them to become international citizens and independent learners.
- Give students opportunities to become more self-aware and confident in their abilities.
- Provide students opportunities to develop new interests and ambitions.
- To allow students to build ties to the classroom and outside world with diverse educational experiences through research, reading and writing.
In past years, classes have traveled within Bangladesh and outside to Nepal, Bhutan, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, China and India.