- Explore AISD
- Teaching & Learning
- Elementary School
- Middle School
- High School
- Student Support Services
- Service Learning
- Community News
- Alumni Connection
A Community of Readers and Inquirers
Our PYP learners strive to be INQUIRERS. While developing their natural curiosity, they acquire the skills necessary to conduct inquiry and research and show independence in learning. They actively enjoy learning and this love of learning will be sustained throughout their lives. To this end, the AISD ES Library provides:
- Physical access to information by providing a carefully selected, systematically organized, up-to-date collection of materials on topics that reflect the information needs of students and faculty.
- Access to contemporary technologies, software, and telecommunications.
- Instruction and consulting assistance in the use of instructional and informational technology.
- Resources and activities that contributes to lifelong learning, while accommodating a wide range of differences in teaching and learning styles and in instructional methods, interests, and capacities.
- A facility that functions as the centre of the school.
- Resources and learning activities that represent a diversity of experiences, opinions, and social and cultural perspectives, supporting the concept that intellectual freedom and access to information are prerequisite to effective and responsible citizenship.
CHECK-OUT: All patrons may have up to 10 print items checked out from the ES Library as well as one e-book from our OverDrive collection. The check-out period for both print and digital resources is 2 weeks, with options for renewal.
CATALOG: Logging into our online catalog, DESTINY, allows patrons to search our print and PlayAway (audiobook) collections, find relevant websites for researching (WebPath Express), read e-books (FollettShelf), and belong to an online community of readers in which one can write reviews on books, recommend titles to others, rate books in our collections, and keep tract of books one’s read and books that one wishes to read (DESTINY Quest). Our newest collection of digital offerings, OverDrive, is also accessed using patron AISD ID numbers for both username and password.
RESOURCES: AISD subscribes to a number of quality resources to meet the needs of our elementary students including BrainPOP and BrainPOP Jr., CultureGrams, Enchanted Learning, NoodleTools, TumbleBook Library, TumbleBookCloud, Jr., and World Book (Discoverer, Kids, and Student levels). These resources must be accessed via the AISD website and require usernames and passwords.
The ES Library subscribes to over 25 periodicals covering a multitude of topics geared to the interests of our elementary students. Current issues can be enjoyed in the Library while back issues may be checked out.
The ES Library is equipped with iPads, laptops, and printers for patron in-house use. LCD projectors, a scanner, and photocopy service are available with Librarian assistance.
Due to the high-demand use of both our Library iPads and laptops, the AISD ES students have devised an equitable plan for the use of these devices during recess times each school day:
- Sunday = Grade 5 students
- Monday = Grade 4 students
- Tuesday = Grade 3 students
- Wednesday = Grade 2 students
- Thursday = Grade 1 students