History of AISD
The American International School Dhaka (AISD) has existed in the nation of Bangladesh since 1972, but its history goes back as far as 1956, when, in former East Pakistan, it was known as the Dacca American Society School.
In response to the needs of the growing expatriate community in what was then known as Dacca, a group of parents, primarily employees of the U.S. Government and U.S. business firms in 1956 started the Dacca American Society School in Dhanmondi. The school was later registered with the Government of East Pakistan in 1963 but was briefly disbanded during the War of Independence and reopened as the American International School Dhaka in 1972 in a house in Gulshan, with an enrollment of 54 students. The School moved Baridhara in 1980 with classrooms for Kindergarten to Grade 8 students, with an opening enrollment of 230 students.