Discovery Week Trips
Discovery Week is a week-long program for middle and high school students designed to complement the traditional classroom instruction that students receive at AISD by providing a set of authentic, alternative educational experiences. Students are expected to complete the educational component of the trip, much like they would if they were in the traditional classroom.
During Discovery Week trips, students are encouraged to embrace the components of the IB Learner Profile, in that they strive to be: inquirers, knowledgeable, thinkers, communicators, principled, open-minded, caring, risk-takers, balanced and reflective.
Ultimately, this program will enhance and improve the students’ own lives, as well as the lives of those around them. Each Discovery Week experience is designed to:
- Offer direct exposure to explore the region of Asia, and to instill an understanding and appreciation for different cultures, geography, and people
- Enhance interpersonal and intrapersonal growth
- Provide opportunities of service learning to enable students to develop a sense of personal responsibility and empathy that will help them to become international citizens and independent learners
- Give students opportunities to become more self-aware and confident in their abilities
- Provide students opportunities to develop new interests and ambitions
- To allow students to build ties to the classroom and outside world with diverse educational experiences through research, reading and writing
Discover Week trips are included in the annual tuition. There is no additional cost to families.
In past years, classes have traveled within Bangladesh and outside to: Nepal, Bhutan, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, China, Sri Lanka, India, and more!
MIDDLE SCHOOL DISCOVERY WEEK SNAPSHOTS
HIGH SCHOOL DISCOVERY WEEK SNAPSHOTS
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes. - Marcel Proust